harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare r711744 as M8
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:28:54 GMT
On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
>> BTW, would Chunrong have to re-run the tests from scratch after fixing
>> HARMONY-6013?
> Not if the change is local enough that Buqi (or whoever writes it) is
> confident that targeted testing is going to be enough for this one
> patch.  If it is a design/architectural change then yes we would restart
> the testing.
The change in monitor_enter, even the safest one, touches every
application that runs. Just because it's touching threading and
synchronization. So I'm very pessimistic that ordinary reasoning on
"change locality" is enough here. Like we can't miss this NPE bug in
M8, we can't miss the occasional regression while fixing this bug :)

Thanks,
Aleksey.