harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone plans to enable interpreter + jit in client mode?
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 07:35:33 GMT
Hi Wenlong,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:28 AM, Wenlong Li <wenlong@gmail.com> wrote:
> As for interpreter vs. jet or client, I measured the VM creation time
> of Harmony, and found interpreter takes the least time to create
> Harmony VM, e.g., 94 ms, while jet takes 121 ms, and client takes 140
> ms (all these time are for Harmony).
How exactly are you measuring the startup of VM? What workload do you run?

What's important here is the right balance between compilation
overhead and the benefits compilation brings. If your code is not
getting executed, then you measuring compilation overhead only -- not
surprisingly, JET will slow things down.

I suggest you to make two experiments:

 1. Compare the *code* performance generated by JET vs. interpreter.
Take some long-running benchmark (like SPECjbb2005) and run in two
modes: (a) -Xem:jet, (b) -Xem:interpreter

 2. Measure the compilation overhead. Take some real startup benchmark
(some of SPECjvm2008:startup would fit nicely, I guess) and measure
what fraction of overall time Jitrino spend compiling, in case of (a)
JET only, (b) client mode, (c) server mode. There should be the
facility inside Jitrino to collect timer stats [1], should be enabled
with -XX:jit.arg.time=on (?).

>From experiment 1, you should see that code generated by JET is
actually faster. From experiment 2, you would see where's the time is
spent on compilation.

Thanks,
Aleksey.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/JIT.html#Timers