harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:15:59 GMT
Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Aleksey Shipilev
> <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, Wenlong!
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Wenlong Li <wenlong@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I didn't try the repacking approach on SPECJVM2008.startup. In my
>>> mind, the repacking scheme may not be very helpful to performance as
>>> more time is spent in executing user's code (startup benchmark) rather
>>> than creating JVM.
>> So, again, if so... user experience wouldn't get better, maintainer
>> experience would get poorer -- what's the reason of repacking then?
>
> Are you still on the thread topic? ;)

yes, I think he is right on topic!  If repackaging into large JARs
reduces the maintainer's experience of Harmony and doesn't significantly
improve the start-up times then we will be doing ourselves a disservice.

>> Copying Nathan, I wish we have the solid numbers before making any
>> claims. Can you give us a little?

Show us the numbers ;-)

I can;t help thinking that running less code during start-up will get us
further towards our goal, by profiling the start-up sequence and
optimizing it (including Aleksey's ideas on caching JAR parsing).

Regards,
Tim