harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sorry...I was not clear in my previous post....I hope this one is more clear
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:23:33 GMT
Diab Abuaiadh wrote:
> Hi Xiaofeng,
>
> I left IBM at 2006. I thought that IBM gave J9 to the open source community.
> If I have J9 or (sun jvm...I think it is called sov) I will be able to implement
> the new algorithms in short time....Maybe one month or less.
>
> I am not familiar with DRLVM...I am afraid it may take time to implement
> the new algorithms....the other things is if I implement the new algorithms
> on J9, I will be able to compare the result with the previous algorithm in J9.

If you write a new algorithm on DRLVM you can still compare it to the
existing J9 algorithm :-) or the DRLVM algorithms.

We are aiming to improve the DRLVM in this project, as mentioned
elsewhere, J9 is not open source so no opportunity for you to contribute
directly there.

> Question: what algrithms you use to implement the garbage collection in DRLVM?
> what compaction algorithm you use?

Did you look at the website already?  There are a number of documents
that will be of interest to you, including a How-To for new GC
algorithms [1]

I suggest you check your ability to contribute to the project, then
describe your ideas and work with Xiao-Feng and everyone on this list to
implement it.  I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/subcomponents/drlvm/gc-howto.html

Regards,
Tim