harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A few questions/help.
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:14:44 GMT
Diab Abuaiadh wrote:
> Thank you Alexey,
>
> I thought that IBM "gave j9" to the open source community...:)

No, J9 is not open source.  It is available as a binary-only download,
under an evaluation-style license here [1]

> I left IBM at 2006 and I did not work on the JVM from 2004. I discovered a new
> algorithms that will significantly improve the performance of J9 (the garbage
> collection part). I discovered these algorithms last month. I talked to IBM and they
have no
> problem with this since I discovered these algorithms after I left IBM. If j9 code is
available,
> I will be able to implement these algorithms in no time.

As Alexey said already, we will require you to disclose your prior
access to other implementations before we can take any contribution into
Apache Harmony.  This is to protect our users', and other implementors
rights.

If you have studied a proprietary implementation then we will need some
indication that the owner has no issues with you also contributing to
Harmony.  See the information on our website [2].

> Could you please send me Xiao-Feng Li email?

Xiao-Feng reads this list.

[1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/harmony/
[2] http://harmony.apache.org/contribution_policy.html

Regards,