harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:48:13 GMT
Wenlong Li wrote:
> Yes, I also noticed the manifest in each jar has keyword, like
> export-package to define  which packages are provided by this jar. I
> think that would be one heuristics for us to decide parsing this jar
> or not. I will try to add the on-demand jar parsing feature into
> Harmony by using this rule information.

Good idea.  Or introduce the concept of a start-up classpath ... so you
don't have to hard-code in the VM which packages are in the start-up

Right now there is the bootclasspath and application classpath.  We
expect all the start-up classes plus more to be on the bootclasspath.

But if we split that into the bootclasspath={start-up path + system
path} classes then we can preload / process the JARs on the start-up
classpath, and defer the parsing of those on the system classpath.  Just
as a start-up differentiator, the start-up+system JARs would of course
all be part of the bootclasspath to the application.

Just an idea...

View raw message