harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] Declare r711744 as M8
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:17:34 GMT
Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> The change in monitor_enter, even the safest one, touches every
> application that runs. Just because it's touching threading and
> synchronization. So I'm very pessimistic that ordinary reasoning on
> "change locality" is enough here. Like we can't miss this NPE bug in
> M8, we can't miss the occasional regression while fixing this bug :)

Maybe.  Just because the monitor enter is used everywhere doesn't mean
that the fix has to be tested in every usage -- if it is a well
contained change.  In this case the null check should be a simple enough
change with little chance of side effects.

Can you think of a situation when the null check will introduce some
instability or regression?

I could be persuaded otherwise, but right now I think limited retesting
is sufficient for this fix.

BTW   I'm -1 on releasing r711744 as-is, so we will need to rebuild and
restart the vote anyway.

Regards,
Tim