harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony on PowerPC
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:37:21 GMT
Hi Mark,

I have worked on porting the Harmony class library to the PPC Linux
platform, and have a working local copy which is able to pass 99% of the
Harmony class library tests (running on top of a specially built version
of the IBM VME for that platform). Most of the changes required are
already in Harmony Subversion, although I have a few small changes here
that will need to be made via a contribution to the project. Note, this
porting work has been carried out on the class libraries only, not on DRLVM.

Regarding the assembly code in the thread library, I have been building
using the "-Dhy.no.thr=true" option which stops the classlib thread
library being built and instead uses the VM provided thread library, if
it is available. The PPC Linux IBM VM I was using provides a libhythr.so
of its own which gives the class libraries the required threading
functionality. However, DRLVM does not currently have an implementation
of its thread library available for PPC Linux (as far as I know), so you
may be stuck here for now unless you are able to implement that
functionality yourself.

Regards,
Oliver

--