harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] M8 code freeze now in effect
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 21:46:01 GMT
I can't say that it just started showing up for me, I just started
running a full-length test on Win today and this was the first I ran
into.

I suspect it has been failing since we enabled assertions for all
tests. The integrity page is showing the same failure on Win [1].

[1] http://people.apache.org/~varlax/harmony-integrity/windows_x86/classlib-gui-test/

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/11/2008, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
>> It looks like this class has been like this since the initial contribution
>> [1].
>
> Which implies it should not stop us declaring M8 - but any idea why it
> has started failing for you now?
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

>> [1]
>> http://svn.eu.apache.org/viewvc/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/awt/src/main/java/common/java/awt/GridBagLayout.java?view=log
>>
>> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org> wrote:
>>> I'm seeing an test error in 'awt'.
>>>
>>>  <testcase classname="java.awt.GridBagLayoutRTest"
>>> name="testAddLayoutComponent" time="0.0">
>>>    <error message="AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component"
>>> type="java.lang.AssertionError">java.lang.AssertionError:
>>> AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component
>>>        at java.awt.GridBagLayout.addLayoutComponent(GridBagLayout.java:94)
>>>        at
>>> java.awt.GridBagLayoutRTest.testAddLayoutComponent(GridBagLayoutRTest.java:105)
>>>        at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)
>>>

>>> I'm not exactly sure what the test is supposed to be doing, but I'm
>>> guessing it is testing for some sort of null/illegal parameter. The
>>> interesting thing or actual issue is that the code check the parameter
>>> for null via an assert.
>>>
>>>           // awt.7F=AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component
>>>            assert comp != null : Messages.getString("awt.7F");
>>> //$NON-NLS-1$
>>>
>>> At some point, this test wouldn't have been failing because asserts
>>> weren't enabled, but now they are and an assertion is being thrown.
>>> I'm going to do some digging to figure out what the correct behavior
>>> should be and maybe see about getting this fix into M8.
>>>
>>> The important thing though is that we need to understand the
>>> appropriate way to use asserts and this isn't one of them. An
>>> assertion SHOULD never fail. If an assertion fails, that should
>>> indicate a programming error within the code; in this case, a Harmony
>>> programming error. Indicating a consumer programming error should be
>>> done via runtime exceptions.
>>>
>>> -Nathan

Hampshire