harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] M8 code freeze now in effect
Date Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:41:02 GMT
I'm seeing an test error in 'awt'.

  <testcase classname="java.awt.GridBagLayoutRTest"
name="testAddLayoutComponent" time="0.0">
    <error message="AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component"
type="java.lang.AssertionError">java.lang.AssertionError:
AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component
	at java.awt.GridBagLayout.addLayoutComponent(GridBagLayout.java:94)
	at java.awt.GridBagLayoutRTest.testAddLayoutComponent(GridBagLayoutRTest.java:105)
	at java.lang.reflect.VMReflection.invokeMethod(VMReflection.java)

I'm not exactly sure what the test is supposed to be doing, but I'm
guessing it is testing for some sort of null/illegal parameter. The
interesting thing or actual issue is that the code check the parameter
for null via an assert.

           // awt.7F=AddLayoutComponent: attempt to add null component
            assert comp != null : Messages.getString("awt.7F"); //$NON-NLS-1$

At some point, this test wouldn't have been failing because asserts
weren't enabled, but now they are and an assertion is being thrown.
I'm going to do some digging to figure out what the correct behavior
should be and maybe see about getting this fix into M8.

The important thing though is that we need to understand the
appropriate way to use asserts and this isn't one of them. An
assertion SHOULD never fail. If an assertion fails, that should
indicate a programming error within the code; in this case, a Harmony
programming error. Indicating a consumer programming error should be
done via runtime exceptions.

-Nathan

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> chunrong lai wrote:
>>  I am bothly OK with waiting results of the reliability testing or voting
>> with current testing status (to stick to the schedule).
>
> Quality is more important than dates -- so I favor delaying the vote
> until the testing is complete and any issues addressed.
>
> Regards,
> Tim
>

>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 10:29 PM, Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, that was an assumption on my part because it's quite late by CST.
>>>
>>> Shall we aim for Monday, or are people quite keen to stick to the schedule?

>>> number
PO6