harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general] Harmony on PowerPC
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 17:01:28 GMT
On 4 ноября 2008 Mark Gertsvolf wrote:
> On November 3, 2008 1:31 PM Pavel Pervov wrote:
> > I hope you succeed in porting assembly snippets to PPC, but
> > you'll be able to run the VM only with interpreter as JIT
> > clearly misses code generation for PPC platform.
>
> Hi Pavel,
>
> Thank you for your response.
> Is the a significant difference between running an application using the
> interpreter vs. JIT? Is interpreter option only meant to be used for
> debugging, or can it be used for real "server" application execution?

Harmony VM doesn't have hotspot mode. Interpreting mode never switches to JIT
so interpreter is really intended for debugging and possibly for quick
porting to other architectures (you need to write small portions of assembly
for calling native methods). Interpreting the code is definitely slow
compared to compiling it.

--
Gregory