harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [tools] jretools
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2008 13:08:20 GMT
The build works for me, but I would expect to see some of the
executables duplicated in both jre/bin and jdk/bin (java, javaw,
keytool, policytool unpack200) and on Windows I only see them in one
folder or the other.  I'm just building jdktools and not the whole
federated build in case that makes a difference.

2008/10/7 Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com>:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
>> I suppose we could manage without changing package names.  Initially I
>> did it because I wondered if I might end up having a top-level build of
>> all the classes much like we do in classlib and it made this slightly
>> cleaner.  But I hope there is a better way to handle the simpler
>> dependencies (common classes needed by both jretools and jdktools).
>>
>> Now I've committed the split changing the names (again/back) would be
>> trivial but I'd like to resolve the following issue first.
>>
>> We need to decide is if we should have two or three tools jars.  (We
>> could have one and include the jdktools classes in the jre but I don't
>> really like that idea.)
>>
>> Do we make the jdktools jar depend on the jretools jar to resolve
>> the common classes or do we have a separate common tools jar which
>> both jdktools or jretools jars depend upon?  I was thinking of going
>> with just two.  (We could have two with no dependencies and keep the
>> duplicate classes but I don't like this idea either.)
>
> Just two JARs for me.  The JDK depends upon the JRE in so many other
> ways, that this seems quite natural in tools too.

I also prefer two jars.

--
Unless stated otherwise above: