harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 06:54:54 GMT
Xiao Feng,
Thanks for a good question.

The optimization improves so-called "peak score" which is calculated
from several subsequent executions. If you cache VM state in different
files for different command lines, you may even cache pre-compiled
class files for a particular benchmark. As I've got from a fellow SPEC
committee member this optimization is allowed unless the released VM
is specifically tuned to pass the spec.

Sorry about the third bullet. Well, I thought if I should mention
pre-compiled classes there. I hesitate because I don't know any
trusted research which shows that loading pre-compiled classes from
disk is quicker than dynamic re-compilation.

Thanks!

--
With best regards,
Alexei