harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Bornstein" <danf...@google.com>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 19:25:08 GMT
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM, Mark Hindess
<mark.hindess@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> In the coming months, expect to see us working on merging changes in
>> both directions. In the mean time, please do poke around in our code,
>> and, should you be inspired to do so, we'd be tickled pink if you
>> wanted either to pull changes from us or submit patches back. We're
>> just getting ramped up on operating in the open, so I apologize in
>> advance for the inevitable hiccups.
>
> It might be useful to know what revision(s) of Harmony code, the
> equivalent modules in your repository are based on.  Then it would be
> easier for people to figure out where significant improvements have been
> made.

You may groan at the answer: We took a snapshot of the Harmony
tip-of-tree code on 2007-04-11, and used that to augment the code we
already had at the time (as opposed to replace our original code en
masse). We later also selectively took updated files from Harmony,
when it looked like there was significant progress (e.g., a module
became complete or had a major overhaul). And we fixed a lot of bugs
ourselves.

All that being said, knowing that the Day Of Reckoning would someday
come, we did try to make it reasonably easy to figure out where all
the files came from and what intentional changes we made to Harmony
code: First of all, the license headers for Harmony files are
different than the headers for files that were made from scratch for
Android. Also, we tried to explicitly mark every Harmony file we
changed, mostly by marking added, changed, or removed code inline
(grep for "// BEGIN android"), though we sometimes resorted to a
general note at the top of file (e.g., when we overhauled the
documentation for a class).

Regards,

-dan