harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Bornstein" <danf...@google.com>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:01:04 GMT
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the other end of the scale, Harmony (or Android) could produce the
> 'right shape' delivery for incorporating, unmodified, into Android (or
> Harmony).  This would mean bugs get fixed at one location, mindful of
> the uses in various projects.

I am pretty sure everyone here that has an opinion about such things
agrees that we want the Android library source to mirror the existing
Harmony layout, in the long run.

> needs.  Today, we simply split things into functional areas, but I can
> see that we might also want to configure to target environment

Yes, that would be ideal. The existing Android solution to the problem
involves "overlaying" Android-specific changes on existing
distributions of other software. Right now, we can't even do that with
Harmony because the "shape" is wrong, but even with that corrected, we
have made so many "mobile-centric" or "Dalvik-centric" changes to the
Harmony code that maintaining an overlay would probably be a bit of a
nightmare for whoever had to do it.

> The open Android site looks good, and I recognize a great deal of it
> from the Apache perspective -- which will make working together much
> easier.  However, I didn't see anything about contributors' prior
> access, like the Harmony ACQ [1].  Is that information considered for
> Android contributors?

Not right now, it isn't. I will ask folks here what their take on this is.

BTW, on the issue of slow/aborted "repo sync" when getting the source
code, interest in Android source exceeded expectations enough that we
had to do some last-minute reconfiguration. See the "known issues"
page at <http://source.android.com/known-issues> for details.

Continuing warm regards,

-dan