harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Dan Bornstein" <danf...@google.com>
Subject Android source: open for business
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:25:01 GMT
Greetings, Harmony People.

Earlier today, the Android project pushed its first open source
release out the door. You can find all the details here:
<http://source.android.com/>

If you dig into the source, you'll find some no doubt very
familiar-looking files under <dalvik/libcore/*>. Once again, I thank
you all for your important contributions!

We have been spending all our time recently trying to get two products
out the door — one being a software build for the "G1" device, and the
other being the source code itself along with the related tools — but
now that the dust is settling, we are beginning to contemplate how
best to get our library code back in sync with the Harmony mainline.
We have changes we've made that we are reasonably sure would be useful
to Harmony, and we've made others we are pretty sure don't make sense
for Harmony's primary target of desktop/server class machines.

In the coming months, expect to see us working on merging changes in
both directions. In the mean time, please do poke around in our code,
and, should you be inspired to do so, we'd be tickled pink if you
wanted either to pull changes from us or submit patches back. We're
just getting ramped up on operating in the open, so I apologize in
advance for the inevitable hiccups.

Warm regards,

-dan