harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [performance] Startup cost is high for Harmony (HARMONY-6002)
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 10:15:36 GMT
Hi, Wenlong, all!

Please also consider the recompilation issues in Jitrino. There's a
little patch to play with [1], it introduces the delay between the
first compilation of the method (with JET) and the recompilation (with
OPT), effectively preventing the OPT compilation from happening when
overall execution time is low. IMO, there should be another mechanism:
something like "compiler budget" for the application, that is,
fraction of overall execution time JIT should spend recompiling.

Anyway, I had managed to improve Eclipse startup +15% faster with [1].

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wenlong Li (JIRA) wrote:
>> The startup time is long for the simple helloworld program. On a Core
>> 2 Quad-core processor, running the simple helloworld program will take
>> more than 300 ms.
>> Can we reduce the startup cost?
> Yes, I hope so ... concrete suggestions or analysis of startup costs are
> welcome.
> Regards,
> Tim

View raw message