harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 20:28:49 GMT
Dan Bornstein wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
>> At the other end of the scale, Harmony (or Android) could produce the
>> 'right shape' delivery for incorporating, unmodified, into Android (or
>> Harmony).  This would mean bugs get fixed at one location, mindful of
>> the uses in various projects.
>
> I am pretty sure everyone here that has an opinion about such things
> agrees that we want the Android library source to mirror the existing
> Harmony layout, in the long run.
>
>> needs.  Today, we simply split things into functional areas, but I can
>> see that we might also want to configure to target environment
>
> Yes, that would be ideal. The existing Android solution to the problem
> involves "overlaying" Android-specific changes on existing
> distributions of other software. Right now, we can't even do that with
> Harmony because the "shape" is wrong, but even with that corrected, we
> have made so many "mobile-centric" or "Dalvik-centric" changes to the
> Harmony code that maintaining an overlay would probably be a bit of a
> nightmare for whoever had to do it.

Understood, and bear in mind that I've not studied the Dalvik changes yet...

However, I expect that it will be easier to start by collaborating on
some the 'higher level' modules (e.g. logging) to merge the fixes you
made, and publishing the module as a separate download from the Harmony
project so it can be easily integrated into Android.

Once we figure out the best way of doing that then we can work towards
the more complex cases.

Regards,
Tim