harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 08:18:42 GMT
Hi Dan.

Congratulations on getting the Android code out the door!  A significant
milestone on the great journey.

I think there are various levels that we can imagine cooperating, and we
should discuss which will be most effective for both the Android and
Harmony projects.

At the simplest level we can maintain parallel code streams and exchange
patches for bugs found in each.  Its an easy place to start, but
ultimately this would be less than ideal since it would require both
projects to evaluate the appropriateness of each patch we make, and I
believe we would eventually drift apart.

At the other end of the scale, Harmony (or Android) could produce the
'right shape' delivery for incorporating, unmodified, into Android (or
Harmony).  This would mean bugs get fixed at one location, mindful of
the uses in various projects.

The challenge is to understand which axes of flexibility should be
defined for the Harmony class libraries in order to deliver on our users
needs.  Today, we simply split things into functional areas, but I can
see that we might also want to configure to target environment as you
and Chris Gray have described.

The open Android site looks good, and I recognize a great deal of it
from the Apache perspective -- which will make working together much
easier.  However, I didn't see anything about contributors' prior
access, like the Harmony ACQ [1].  Is that information considered for
Android contributors?

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/auth_cont_quest.html

Regards,
Tim