harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Gertsvolf" <ma...@nortel.com>
Subject RE: [testing] Exception java.nio.channels.IllegalSelectorException thrown in dnsjava
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2008 03:09:46 GMT
On October 30, 2008 1:03 PM Tim Ellison wrote
> At the risk of sounding patronizing, "in a debugger" ;-)
>
> In this case it would be possible to catch the
> IllegalSelectorException and go in to look at how the program
> got there and the values of the variables at the time.

Hi Tim,

I am sorry I did not realize Harmony delivers both JVM and java
classlib, so it did not occur to me to look for java.nio package in
Harmony source and use Java debugger.

Perhaps a more general question then - I am trying to put Java onto a
Linux distro, which is old  - Kernel 2.4.22 and glibc 2.3.2 on PowerPC.
I could not use off-the-shelf binary distributions of JVM from Sun or
IBM as I need to build the JVM from source using my toolchain. I am
trying to find out whether Harmony is a good choice.
So, I first ran my application with Harmony JVM and hit this first issue
with dnsjava.
My application uses other 3rd party libraries including jain-sip, etc.

Is it fair to say that there is some risk involved in trying to use
Harmony with my application? Sounds like my application and libraries
may not run well with Harmony classlib/JVM? Also, what is the policy of
this community in cases like dnsjava? Is the argument that "dnsjava
works" with other JVMs strong enough to convince the community to make
modifications in classlib to make dnsjava work? Or would you be prepared
to sometimes say: we are not fixing and the library has to change.

Apologies if my questions sound silly. I am new to the space.

Thank you in advance,
Mark.