harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Android source: open for business
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:16:57 GMT

In message <8084e12c0810211425t4a02494fyacb78fa66eb65182@mail.gmail.com>,
"Dan Bornstein" writes:

> Greetings, Harmony People.
>
> Earlier today, the Android project pushed its first open source
> release out the door. You can find all the details here:
> <http://source.android.com/>

Congratulations!  Given the scope of the Android project this is a very
impressive achievement.

> If you dig into the source, you'll find some no doubt very
> familiar-looking files under <dalvik/libcore/*>. Once again, I thank
> you all for your important contributions!
>
> We have been spending all our time recently trying to get two products
> out the door - one being a software build for the "G1" device, and the
> other being the source code itself along with the related tools - but
> now that the dust is settling, we are beginning to contemplate how
> best to get our library code back in sync with the Harmony mainline.
> We have changes we've made that we are reasonably sure would be useful
> to Harmony, and we've made others we are pretty sure don't make sense
> for Harmony's primary target of desktop/server class machines.
>
> In the coming months, expect to see us working on merging changes in
> both directions. In the mean time, please do poke around in our code,
> and, should you be inspired to do so, we'd be tickled pink if you
> wanted either to pull changes from us or submit patches back. We're
> just getting ramped up on operating in the open, so I apologize in
> advance for the inevitable hiccups.

It might be useful to know what revision(s) of Harmony code, the
equivalent modules in your repository are based on.  Then it would be
easier for people to figure out where significant improvements have been
made.

(Possibly this question is too naive and your process for integrating
Harmony code is more complex but I'd be interested to know more about
it if that is the case.)

Regards,
 Mark.