harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib][pack200] Using ASM instead of BCEL in pack200
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 10:46:57 GMT
In the last week I've finally had some time to look at replacing BCEL
with ASM in pack200.  I preferred ASM over SERP or any other options
mainly because it is really small (43K) and also has good performance.
 So I've done some prototyping work and I'm fairly confident ASM is
suitable, although there could potentially be future problems with the
fact that ASM doesn't give access to the constant pool itself and just
inlines the constants, so I've tried to write my code in a way that
means it wouldn't be too hard to replace it if more functionality was
needed at some point.

So I'm planning to check in my initial work this week if no-one has
any objections.  As we're not using ASM anywhere else at the moment is
it ok to just check the jar file in under the pack200 directory, or
should it be in the depends directory and have a manifest instead?  Is
there anything else I need to do for bringing in BSD licensed code,
e.g. any notices or license files or source that also need to be
added?

Thanks,

Sian

--