harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Qiu" <sean.xx....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: harmony class libs and GNU Classpath
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:49:25 GMT
2008/9/12 Anders Kristensen <andersk@cisco.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the Harmony project and was wondering about the relationship
> between Harmony and the GNU Classpath project, e.g.:
>  - How much (if anything) of the Harmony class libraries come from the GNU
> Classpath project?

None,  Harmony is delivered with Apache License V2 [1], while GNU
Classpath is delivered with GPL.
These two licenses are incompatible, so they can't adopt each other's
code at all.

>  - Do the two efforts continue in parallel or is one emerging as being more
> likely to flourish and attract future development?

I don't familiar with GNU Classpath, but I know Harmony gradually
becomes mature.
Harmony has clear high level roadmap and detailed close goals [2].
Harmony has a active community which comprises of active committers
and contributors [3].

>  - If they're both active, which one is more complete?

You can get the api diff from here[4], though the data may be out-of-data.
Harmony has been improved quite a lot during this period.

What's more, Harmony has a virtual machine implementation as well
which is called DRLVM [5].
And Harmony classlib could be integrated with IBM VM or  Jrockit VM.

Correct me if I am wrong :)

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/license.html
[2] http://harmony.apache.org/roadmap.html
[3] http://harmony.apache.org/contributors.html