harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] Using ASM instead of BCEL in pack200
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 08:52:34 GMT
Sian January wrote:
> In the last week I've finally had some time to look at replacing BCEL
> with ASM in pack200.  I preferred ASM over SERP or any other options
> mainly because it is really small (43K) and also has good performance.
>  So I've done some prototyping work and I'm fairly confident ASM is
> suitable, although there could potentially be future problems with the
> fact that ASM doesn't give access to the constant pool itself and just
> inlines the constants, so I've tried to write my code in a way that
> means it wouldn't be too hard to replace it if more functionality was
> needed at some point.
>
> So I'm planning to check in my initial work this week if no-one has
> any objections.  As we're not using ASM anywhere else at the moment is
> it ok to just check the jar file in under the pack200 directory, or
> should it be in the depends directory and have a manifest instead?

As a rule we pull in third party dependencies from the 'fetch-depends'
target -- to make it clear that this is code people are getting under a
different license etc.  However, if the download site necessitates it
you can check it into our SVN under the depends directory.

> Is there anything else I need to do for bringing in BSD licensed
> code, e.g. any notices or license files or source that also need to
> be added?

Read the license :-)  You need to reproduce their specified text in our
distribution.  We do that via the THIRD_PARTY_NOTICES.txt

Regards,
Tim