harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general]Mika and Harmony
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:19:50 GMT
Chris Gray wrote:
> I'd like to re-raise the question of whether the Mika VM (<http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mika_VM>, <http://www.k-embedded-java.com/mika/trac/>)

> has a role to play within the Harmony project. I discussed this previously
> with Geir Magnusson, but that was before he moved on ...

Hi Chris.  I think there is a role for Mika if we go down the road of
producing a reduced class library configuration out of Harmony, or one
more suitably targeted to limited memory environments.  I assume that a
combination of Mika + full Harmony class libraries is not going to be so
interesting.

> Mika is a BSD-licensed VM designed for the JavaME CDC space; the class
> libraries it uses are currently mostly its own but moving towards using
> Harmony. Currently that movement is somewhat glacial (we have to dumb-down
> Harmony to 1.4 compliance, which is boring work), but it will get a boost
> once we start work on supporting Java5 features.

Yep.  I can't imagine a great rush to backport the Harmony class
libraries to 1.4 syntax compliance, so I think it would be an important
goal to bring Mika up to 1.5 bytecode support.

> What do people think - does Mika have a role to play in Harmony or should we
> just be "downstream" users of the Harmony classlibs?

I think it would work fine either way.  We can work closely within the
Apache project -- but if you are working fine as a downstream consumer
then the question to ask would be 'what would you expect to change by
coming into the fold?'

Regards,
Tim