harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject [classlib][concurrent] Proposal - move all code into enhanced section
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2008 01:26:17 GMT
I've mentioned this on the list before, but I'd like wrap it up. I'd
like to propose moving all of the code from the concurrency module
that's in the standard folder [1] into the enhanced folder [2]. There
are a couple of reasons for doing this.

* The separation complicates the source maintenance and builds. One
original intention was to keep the code somewhat protected, but I
think the same diligence and discretion can be applied to the code in
the enhanced folder.
* The original code is public domain. Based on a few conversations
I've had and my reading, we should really just take ownership of the
source and mark it all as AL (put the AL header in the files).

Working model going forward
* To help managing the code that we pull from the concurrency repo
[3], we can continue to commit the unmodified code into appropriately
named folders in standard. The names could reflect tag names from the
original SCM. We can do this periodically.
* Periodically merge code from the latest code pulls into the enhanced branch.
* Continue to modify the concurrency code only on rare occasions and
always get mailing list approval for the changes.

Comments, thoughts, objections?

-Nathan

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/standard/classlib/trunk/modules/concurrent/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/modules/concurrent/