harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [general] Reduced footprint class library
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 13:52:05 GMT
On Thursday 18 September 2008 15:10, Tim Ellison wrote:
> In another thread [1], Chris wrote:
> > Should we start a separate thread with a more obvious title?
>
> Done, tweak the subject as you see fit.

Ta.

> > [...]
> > In fact JavaME CDC/FP doesn't include java.nio, [...]
>
> True, as you are adhering to the ME specs.  But if you are prepared to
> branch out and define an alternative reduced footprint library profile
> you might also choose to include NIO functionality, and 1.5 syntax
> support, etc.
>
> You may have some insights based on the "Mika class libraries with
> packages taken from Harmony" use cases you have already seen.

Java.nio is something of an Awful Example in this context, because it contains
such disparate elements. One application might really need the charset stuff
but have no use whatever for the java.net-revisited parts, another might be
i/o intensive and need direct buffering and select()-style functionality
above all. IOW the granularity of the footprint reduction process will
probably not map neatly onto package boundaries.

In actual use cases the most popular single import seems to be java.beans
(which does actually correspond to a Sun-defined profile, namely CDC/PP). The
biggest import was in order to run Ant on the target for purposes of
auto-deployment - not a route I would recommend, but that was the customer's
choice.

See also my response to Alex Blewitt regarding char converters and locales.

> [1] http://markmail.org/message/x3ydeos244pqpcws

Regrads,

Chris

Skype: k.embedded.chris