harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: [general]Mika and Harmony
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:13:57 GMT
Hi Tim,

> Sounds good to me.  Let's see if anyone else is interested.

Should we start a separate thread with a more obvious title?

> You spurred me into committing the patch I was sat on to reduce the
> footprint of the NIO character converters, by making the native
> implementations optional.  You can now delete the 1.5Mb hyniochar
> library and we'll fall back to doing the conversions in Java code.
>
> I'm sure there are more examples like this where we can have the best of
> both worlds for 'big' server and 'small' embedded sets of libraries.

In fact JavaME CDC/FP doesn't include java.nio, with the result that I
regularly have to patch code that is using java.nio just to do simple
byte<->char conversions. But in other respects this is a good example - for a
large class of applications (those which make only incidental use of char
conversion) the java-only library is perfectly adequate and saves 1.5 MB
(handy if your platform only has 8 MB of ROM!).

Another area I would like to look at is Locale - last time I looked Harmony's
Calendar  was relying on a 6 MB library to handle Locale-related stuff, it
could be interesting to have a lightweight alternative.

Best regards

Chris

Skype: k.embedded.chris