harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: patch for HARMONY-5901 is ready
Date Tue, 05 Aug 2008 07:11:31 GMT
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 8:03 AM, xiaoming gu <xiaoming.gu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, guys. The patch for harmony-5901 is ready.
At last! Thanks, Xioaming!

> I compared the performance for all the 5 benchmarks in "Java vs. C
> benchmark" by Stefan Krause on my desktop
> workstation (Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550@2.83GHz, 3.23G RAM, Windows XP SP2).
> With MUL/DIV replaced by shift,
> spectralnorm is improved more than 29% (from 450258 msec to 319578 msec)
Can you spend some time and measure how much boost there is, in case
your _manual_ change of MUL/DIV operations to shifts? I had measured
+60% boost, so it would be great to conclude whether yours +30% is
connected with patch overheads (handling negative operands, I guess)
or your environment.

Thanks,
Aleksey.