harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject [classlib] SimpleTimeZone and SecurityExceptions
Date Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:12:32 GMT
There's a recurring failure in the
'tests.api.java.security.PermissionCollectionTest' test case that
seems to have begun when SimpleTimeZone began delegating functionality
to ICU's code. The exact failure is due to an ICU class, ICUDebug,
retrieving the property 'java.version' and not having permission to do
so. There are a few things we can do.

1. Change the test and add the permission to read 'java.version'
2. Wrap the lookup calls to ICU's TimeZone in PrivilegedAction
3. Attempt to get ICU to perform the property lookup with code to
handle the SecurityException

1 doesn't seem appropriate to me, but I'm not too familiar with the
test case. 2 seems appropriate, as SimpleTimeZone is part of the
privileged code base and this will just extend that. 3 may be
something we should do in addition to 2.

Thoughts, comments?

-Nathan