harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: possible bug in com.ibm.icu.text.Bidi
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2008 02:35:32 GMT
I did this with ICU 4.0

    com.ibm.icu.text.Bidi b = new
com.ibm.icu.text.Bidi("\u05DC\u05DD",
com.ibm.icu.text.Bidi.DIRECTION_DEFAULT_RIGHT_TO_LEFT);
    System.err.println("Text - " + b.getTextAsString());
    System.err.println("RTL - " + b.isRightToLeft());
    System.err.println("LTF - " + b.isLeftToRight());
    System.err.println("Mixed - " + b.isMixed());

It printed -

RTL - true
LTF - false
Mixed - false

What flag values are being passed? I know these are RTL code points,
but I think the algorithm needs to be told what the assumed direction
is. If you use either the '_DEFAULT_' values you should get the
correct thing because these are strong characters. If you set to RTL
you're saying it's RTL. If you set to LTR (the value 0), the it's
assumed to be LTR with some RTL characters, thus the mixed.

I don't have a lot of experience with BIDI, so bear with me on this.

-Nathan