harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "xiaoming gu" <xiaoming...@gmail.com>
Subject generalized multiplication replacement
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:06:32 GMT
Hi, all. Previously, Harmony Jira 5901 brought some benefits. Now I'm
working on generalized multiplication replacement with shift and addition.

Today I checked with gcc and found whether a multiplication is replaced or
not in gcc mainly (not strictly) depends on the number of the replaced
operations. There are some exceptions in gcc and I couldn't summarize the
rule without reading the source code. So I'm planning to round it to a
simple decision as following: if it needs >=4 shift/add operations, don't do
replacement; Otherwise, replace it with a combination of shift/add.

For example x*20 (20=00010100) is replaced by (x<<2+x)<<2  and x*56
(56=00111000) is replaced by (x<<3-x)<<3 but x*29 (29=00011101) is not
optimized by ((x<<3)-x)<<2+x.

Any comments?

Another question - may I read the source code of gcc since it is opensource
in GPL? Thanks.

Xiaoming