harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Cornwall" <andrew.pack...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] Decoupling I/O and processing for unpacking scenario
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:21:54 GMT
1. I'm not 100% sure about JAR file order, but I can see circumstances when
it will matter (for instance, when there's a JAR file with more than one
class of the same name in it). I don't know if some JAR files are ordered
explicitly for performance reasons. I guess I'd hate to give up identical
ordering if we don't have to.

2. My current VM doesn't have verbose GC handling in it. Hacking it to
provide some info shows that I do about 5200 global GCs in handling all the
files.

3. I'm using a set of 466 Eclipse / Sametime plugins that are packed with
default packing. The average size of the pack.gz files is around 42517, with
a standard deviation of 146240. The median size is 7309.

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Aleksey Shipilev <
aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> I forgot to discuss three things:
>
> 1. The order of segments is not preserved in MT (multithreaded)
> version. Should we care about that?
>
> 2. MT version exposes GC problems since there are no more room for
> separate GC thread like it was in ST (single-threaded). Can you print
> -verbose:gc for your tests and see how much time spent in GC? Parallel
> GC should help too. Larger heap should also help.
>
> 3. I had tested MT version on single 50 Mb .pack file, and I don't
> know the performance profile for smaller files. What are the sizes for
> your case?
>
> Thanks,
> Aleksey.
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Andrew Cornwall
> <andrew.pack200@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been playing with HEAD + HARMONY-5916 + HARMONY-5918 on a dual-core
> > machine (which is probably what the majority will have at least for now).
> On
> > my 467-file test case, it takes 57 seconds (vs 38 for the nonthreaded
> > version).
> >
> > It also looks as if it's doing something funny with resources (and
> possibly
> > even some .class files). I see many more differences in output classes
> than
> > I see with the nonthreaded version. (This may be a difference in output
> > order of the JAR file: my diff tool is pretty limited).
> >
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 8:46 AM, Sian January <
> sianjanuary@googlemail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> According to the spec, "The value #archive_size is either zero or
> declares
> >> the number of bytes in the archive segment, starting immediately after
> >> #archive_size_lo and before #archive_next_count and ending with the last
> >> band, the *file_bits band. (That is, a non-zero size includes the size
> of
> >> #archive_next_count, *file_bits, and everything in between.) "
> >>
> >> So you'll need to minus a few bytes for the values you've already read
> from
> >> the second half of the header.

> size
Is