harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][pack200] Decoupling I/O and processing for unpacking scenario
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:33:20 GMT
Hi, Sian!

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Sian January
<sianjanuary@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think there needs to be some processing on the read stage, because the
> length of some bands depends on the contents of previous bands so you won't
> know how much to read unless you do some processing.  But some things can be
> done afterwards like sorting the constant pool, so there's definitely an
> opportunity for parallelism there.
Yes, a huge part of the non-dependent-from-I/O operations are already
extracted in unpackProcess(). Of course, a part of computation should
reside in read because of unknown bands' size, but if we manage to
extract some more not related to reading computations from reading
stage, it would worth a lot (see previous calculations).

Actually I see this is a gap in pack200 spec. I would really like to
have the segment size in segment header to read the entire segment at
once, but... *sigh*.

There is a bunch of people interested in playing with parallelism in
pack200: Andrew wanted to have some, I would enjoy seeing the parallel
decompressor, Sergey Salishev wanted to hack around too :) So we need
to discuss whether my approach to parallelism is ok, does someone
object, or whatever else.

Thanks,
Aleksey.