harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony code in Sun's JRE
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:06:01 GMT
Jimmy,Jing Lv wrote:
> Really interesting, sounds someone of Sun takes an eye on Harmony :)
> And we may apply this fix to java6 branch as well (I've done something
> but not finished completely yet!)

I look forward to seeing it.  If you want help post what you did to a
JIRA and mark it as experimental then we can see what is left to do.

> BTW, IIRC, Open JDK uses GPLv2 with classpath exception[1], but GPLv2
> is not compatible with APL2(but GPLv3 does), so TreeMap implementation
> can not be apply to OpenJDK yet (though possible to apply to RI)?
>
> [1]http://openjdk.java.net/legal/gplv2+ce.html

It's not just GPLv2 + Classpath exception, you missed another exception
that Sun applied to the code:

The Assembly Exception
(http://openjdk.java.net/legal/assembly-exception.html)

where Sun's definition of a Designated Exception Module
(http://openjdk.java.net/legal/exception-modules-2007-05-08.html)
includes code they take in under other open source licenses (see
paragraph 4).

This is not your father's GPLv2.

Regards,
Tim