harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Beyer" <ndbe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Time Zone Question
Date Sun, 13 Jul 2008 17:22:18 GMT
The former, would require implicit casts to double, floating point division
and then an explicit cast back to long, which is workable, but I think it
just makes the code overly complex. The later is fine, as it's integer
division, but I think just using a couple of constants with integer
multiplication is the most clear.

final int QUARTER_ONE_HOUR = 1000 * 60 * 15;
final int HALF_ONE_HOUR = QUARTER_ONE_HOUR * 2;
final int ONE_HOUR = HALF_ONE_HOUR * 2;

Aside from avoiding floating point conversions, multiplication versus
division is a style issue. Just make it clean and obvious.

-Nathan

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 4:53 AM, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Why not just do 5.75* One_hour ? Or one_hour/4?
>
> Alex
>
> Sent from my (new) iPhone
>

> On 12 Jul 2008, at 21:48, "Senaka Fernando" <senakafdo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Hi Nathan, Tharindu,
>>
>> Kathmandu, Nepal is at UTC +5.45.
>>
>> Therefore, we should perhaps also have a QUARTER_HOUR as well.
>>
>> I will work on including all popular cities that are not listed at the
>> moment.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Senaka
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Nathan Beyer <ndbeyer@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Floats should not be needed, nor would they be precise. The offset is
>>> based
>>> on the number of milliseconds.
>>>
>>> I believe the code example showed something like this -
>>>
>>>   new SimpleTimeZone(6 * ONE_HOUR, XXX)
>>>
>>> To do a half you could just create a new constant and do something like
>>> this
>>> -
>>>
>>>  new SimpleTimeZone(5 * ONE_HOUR + HALF_HOUR, XXX)
>>>
>>> -Nathan
>>>
>>> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Senaka Fernando <senakafdo@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi Tharindu,