harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general][performance] Stefan Krause's Harmony performance evaluation
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 21:04:14 GMT
On 4 июля 2008 Aleksey Shipilev wrote:
> TWIMC,
>
> Stefan Krause publishes another review on Java vs. C performance here:
> http://www.stefankrause.net/wp/?p=9#comments
>
> It seems like Harmony has "a long way to go" in performance :)
> I'm gonna look on some of these tests in near term.

It is interesting to see that IBM is often quite close to Harmony in
performance. In fact Harmony acts quite well in its current state. I think
though that performance for Java is always a 2nd priority after stability.
Look at IBM, its Java is targeted at servers where stability is what is
important.

Looking at the occasional test failures on the alerts mail list it seems like
stability is the number one focus for improvement and it is a by far harder
to move in that direction.

--
Gregory