harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [tools] settings/config file
Date Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:16:18 GMT
Hi András,

In general I would say if it's something the user would want to change then
they should be able to do it via the GUI rather than having to edit a file
(e.g clicking "Window" > "Preferences" or similar).  You might need to use a
file under the covers to store the information, and in that case I think you
would probably put it somewhere in the user's home directory since an
installation of Java can be used by multiple users.

An alternative is to define a -X option, which would save you having to
store the preferences in a file, but the user would have to specify the
option every time they start the tool.

However it might be easier for you to avoid this entirely, as Sun's
policytool does.  For the specific examples you mentioned it might be best
to just choose intelligent defaults, e.g. use the System font size and
choose a good default for the window location.  That's probably what I would
do personally (at least for the two examples that you mentioned).

Regards,

Sian

--
Unless stated otherwise above: