harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jim Yu" <junjie0...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][luni] Complement the Missing TimeZone IDs
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:14:08 GMT
Hi all,

If we run a simple comparison of RI's  time zone IDs with Harmony's, we will
find there are quite a few in the same category.
I suggest that we need to complement the missing TimeZone IDs. Two solutions
in my mind:

[1] We load the TimeZone IDs into available zones cache via ICU completely
and don't use the available zones initialized by TimeZones
any more. But for this solution, many testcase will fail since they based on
the behavior of those TimeZone instances initialized by
TimeZones. So we need to check each failure testcase and identify which
behavior is more reasonable, instances of TimeZones or
 those of ICU?

[2] We just do a small trick. When there is a missing TimeZone ID
which exists in ICU, we add it into available zones cache in TimeZone.
So it will be found from now on. For this solution, almost all the testcase
will succeed since instances of TimeZones are still working.

I think [2] is a simple fix, although [1] is also reasonable since we can
totally delegate to ICU. Personally I'd go with [2].

--
Best Regards,
Jim, Jun Jie Yu

China Software Development Lab, IBM