harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Qiu" <sean.xx....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][test] Migration to testNG?
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 03:13:54 GMT
2008/6/12 Sian January <sianjanuary@googlemail.com>:
> This is slightly off track, but my concern about TestNG is that there are
> already quite a lot of steps for someone new to Harmony to get the source
> code and run the tests (both for the whole of Harmony and for a single class
> library module).  Certainly for Eclipse users if we switched to TestNG this
> would add another step, although I'm not sure about command-line users.

The cost to make use of current tests is low, IMHO.
I have mentioned that we can add TestNG target to replace Junit target.
>From the command-line users'  perspective, they still use the same
command to run the test.
The only difference would be the command will invoke TestNG to run our test.
For Eclipse users, they can adopt plug-in for TestNG, it is quite the
same as plug-in for junit.
So I think we can migration to TestNG smoothly for the user.
What's more, they can pick up their desired tests more conveniently.

For test developers,  on the other hand, it is a little complex.
But  we want to upgrade to a new tool, no matter Junit 4 or TestNG, we
need to pay for it.Their efforts are similar.
For TestNG, we need add annotations for each testcase, classify them
to right groups.
The good news is we still can use original assert* as before since
TestNG include JUnit's Assert class.
As Nathan mentioned , we can use hamcrest as well if we want.

> Of course if switching to TestNG solves some really major problems then it
> would probably be worth it, but the only thing I can see that it gives us
> over JUnit 4 is being able to run different sets of tests on different OS's
> and to me that doesn't seem as important as having a project that's easy to
> access.  Just my 2p worth...

We can replace the exclude files  to get a more accurate tracking for
failed test.
We can tell difference between public API tests and harmony specific
implementation tests .
We can archive all tests together into a jar.
I think there should be other benefits as well :)

--
Best Regards
Sean, Xiao Xia Qiu

China Software Development Lab, IBM