harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: My first submission! java.lang.ThreadLocal
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 10:23:10 GMT
On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 2:16 PM, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com> wrote:
>> NB: This patch gives 7.6x boost on MTHarness/ThreadLocalBench and +25%
>> to SPECjvm2008:serial.
> Good numbers! I read the perf is still bad compared to RI? Have you
> any estimation about the reason?
The performance of ThreadLocal is bad compared to RI, while
SPECjvm2008:serial is not (assuming all other patches are applied). I
hadn't investigated the reason of ThreadLocal though, but I think the
problematic area is open-addressed tuple-stored map implementation by
Bob. Bob, had you tried other layout schemes (like splitting
key/values arrays, various probing schemes, etc.)? What was the
rationale behind this implementation?

Thanks,
Aleksey.