harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] AWT dependencies on linux x86/x86_64
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:38:04 GMT
Mark Hindess said the following on 16.06.2008 11:10:
> I think we should stop linking static lib{png,jpeg,lcms} on linux
> 32-bit (and any ports that also use this by default).  We link these
> dynamically on linux/x86_64 and if it is good enough for that platform I
> don't see why it wouldn't be good enough for any other platforms.  The
> APIs for all three libraries are very stable and making the dependencies
> consistent would help simplify the depends.xml.
>
> Furthermore, I'd be tempted to by-pass the symlinking process altogether
> and just checking that the headers/libraries are available at
> depends.xml time and then link against them directly with -lpng etc.
>
> Comments?

It was Geir who insisted on static linking. He said that for
certification it is necessary to have a binary with all of its
dependencies inside of it. I don't know if it is true, but Sun seems to
be using static libraries...

On x86 Linux it is usually possible to create a shared library and link
it against a static library that was not built with -fPIC. But on x86_64
static library that wasn't built with -fPIC cannot be linked to a shared
library. Also not all of the distros provide static versions of
libraries at all and none of them provide static libraries that are
built with -fPIC option. That is why we use dynamic ones for classlib
dependencies.

--
Gregory