harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Aleksey Shipilev" <aleksey.shipi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][gc] IdentityHashCode implementation on magics
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 10:43:43 GMT
Hi,

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Aleksey Shipilev
> <aleksey.shipilev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aha, so it's literally no way to disable buffered hashcode? That means
>> identityHashCode GC helper can't be implemented as magic.
> Why not? GC helper doesn't need to include buffered hash.
Yep, I mean here that IHC magic will perform well only when object is
in young generation. Such GC helper will infer another layer of
indirection while obtaining IHC for mature object (e.g. call to GC
helper -> check -> call to VM helper -> call to native GC). On the
other hand, it should eliminate JNI stub for
VMMemoryManager.getIdentityHashCode after all. Need to experiment
more.

Thanks,
Aleksey.