harmony-dev mailing list archives

From George Timoshenko <george.timoshe...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm][jit][opt] new feature: switchable autocompress mode
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:40:45 GMT
Colleagues,

I created a new JIRA issue with an improvement proposal for Jitrino.OPT.

In compressed mode OPT always uncompress a ref just after it is loaded
from memory (from field).
So each reference is uncompressed in the managed code.
It is a convention in HLO. There are not dedicated instructions for
compression/uncompression.
IRBuilder generates LdField and its dst operand has type - UncompressedRef.

It probably has sense not to uncompress ref if it is loaded just for
NULL comparison or storing to another field.
To do this we need to generate Compress/Uncompress instructions
explicitly during byte code translation.

I almost completed this work.
Unfortunately it may happen I will have no ability to complete this work.
I will be happy to see somebody completed the task.

Thank you,
George.