harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [GSOC] [harmony-tools-2] More details about "Implement a Java developer's command line tool
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:27:21 GMT
Hello,

As far as I'm aware we already have:

appletviewer, jarsigner, java, javac, javah, javaw, keytool, unpack200 and
we intend to use doxygen as a substitute for javadoc.

So there remains:

apt, extcheck, HtmlConverter, idlj, jar, javap, javaws, jconsole, jdb, jps,
jstat, jstatd, jdmpview, kinit, klist, ktab, native2ascii, ordb, pack200,
packager, policytool, rmic, rmid, rmiregistry, serialver, sw, tnameserv

I've just got that from looking in the bin directory for java 5 and for
Harmony so anyone else please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

So the best thing to do is to research a few of these tools that might be
interesting and try to work out how much work they would be.  E.g. the jar
tool is unlikely to be enough for a whole project as we already have the
functionality in the class libraries, but could be combined with something
else.  Or something like pack200 is much more than a project's work, but if
a student was interested they could apply to work on some part of it with
the developers who are already working on it (I think that's the only one
that's in progress). I would start by looking at the official spec (e.g. for
javap if you google "javap" it's the first link).

We already have a good framework for writing these tools in Java, although I
imagine some could also be done in C if that's preferred by the student.

If you look at earlier posts on this mailing list you will see that we have
already had some interest in this project.  It's up to you whether you want
to apply for the same one or a different one or put in a couple of
applications for tools you might feel able to do, but it's possibly
something to think about.

Regards,

Sian

--