harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] removing people names from sources
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 04:13:09 GMT
2008/4/22, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@apache.org>:
> On 21 April 2008 Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> > Hello folks
> >
> > I started asking people how they would feel about removing their names
> > from the source files. One of replies I got was that it would be nice
> > to keep the names in the list of contributors. Any ideas on
> > feasibility of the file, a suitable name (NOTICE?) and any
> > corresponding Apache guidelines?
>
> You can remove my name, I have no objections. I can't speak for others and I
> don't really care whether author tags are present in the files or not.

This should be easier to take for committers, as their names are
publicly credited on Harmony site anyway. ;)
Seriously, I think many peoples are proud of their work and would
prefer to stay listed in credits someway. Don't those projects which
remove @author from sources, maintain a sort of CREDITS.txt instead?

I personally prefer to keep original author names in sources till a
moment then other contributors to the same file/area feel that it is
appropriate to drop them. Seeing names in a quick glance helps to
build that subtle association between peoples and source code, and
adds another link in community in the end.
So I second Xiao-Feng, such removal should not be mechanical.

Regards,
Alexey