harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][repos] Benchmark repository
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 05:32:57 GMT
> On 4/16/08, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/4/16, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com>:
> > > Is it possible to integrate into BTI? if not we can consider the enhanced/tools/
> >
> > There is one already in drlvm trunk, see working_vm/src/test/microbenchmark.
> > There is no infrastructure around, it is mere store holder for now.
> > Feel free to add benches there, they are not intended to be
> > VM-specific.
> >

> I would say opposite if they are DRLVM specific then it is OK to put
> them to the folder. Otherwise (i.e. they are not VM-specific) we
> should integrate them to BTI.
>
> Th point is that DRLVM workspace should contain only DRLVM specific
> tests. For example, IMO DRLVM workspace is not the right place for
> EHWA-API scenario.

This is too radical position IMO. Absolute majority of tests in DRLVM
are functional and not impl-specific, should we move them all to BTI?

Sometimes convenience of using and extending is more important for
success. If we had appropriate infra for benchmarks I wouldn't argue,
but now I'm afraid most contributors would rather leave a bench-case
hanging in JIRA than dare to hack BTI. I'm happy to be proven wrong,
though.

Regards,
Alexey