harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] icu or apr-iconv, which coding library is better?
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:02:33 GMT
Mark,
I'm impressed with your approach.

0) I don't know why Mikhail Fursov choose that style of logging. I
just renamed functions keeping the code as is. If Mikhail does not
object, I will change it.

1) Thanks for catching it. Fixed that once, then forgot.

2) I've got a problem on Windows 64 platform related to this function
and tried to fix this to pass linking. I was only able to build
incrementally on that platform due to some infrastructure reasons.
Generally, the more statics, the better. Can separate it in another
patch easily.

3) This is tricky. Few things are involved.
3a) I generally remove this header from files, where I fix other headers.
3b) I don't touch active people names except myself and Pavel Pervov
from whom I get a commitment that it's ok.
3c) Generally, decrease in lines is always positive. Even if these
lines are comments which are not useful.
3d) I think that if one adds changes suggested by Alexey, the size of
the logger would be equal to the wrapper size. So please just don't
use lines as a proper metrics. The main benefit is removing libraries,
which contain more source files than our whole vmcore.

4a)
-Pavel, how should I merge in this #if 0?
-Just remove it.

4b) The same thing as for names. When I come to the incorrect place, I
just fix it. Having hanging thread safety issues in Mikhail verifier,
building that verifier with VC6 and trying to finalize CDS I cannot
allow myself to go and clean up the code separately. Ok, you may say:
in this case do not make a clean up at all. But I'm getting fun when
making code look pretty, and cosmetic changes help me merging my brain
into code before doing serious changes.

Thanks for a very careful review. You caught all places except one
which concerned me. (The last one is logging for hythread which is
actually is done by means of print. This is evolutionary improvement).

--
With best regards,
Alexei