harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] icu or apr-iconv, which coding library is better?
Date Sun, 13 Apr 2008 09:17:06 GMT
Hello Nathan,
Thanks for questions.

There are many other places where charset (en/de)coders are used, but
we use icu4c there. HARMONY-5692 is a replacement of log4cxx with
custom logger and removing dependent aprutil and apr-iconv which are
not used any longer after this replacement.
   * The replacement decreases
windows_x86_msvc_debug/deploy/jdk/jre/bin/default/harmonyvm.dll size
from 4079616 to 2961408. This would probably improve a startup time.
   * The custom logger requires less lines of code than a log4cxx
wrapper, hence, is easier to maintain.
   * By specification VM logging should be done using provided
vfprintf. C++ logger adds two layers of conversion. vfprintf layer wan
not implemented, and implementing it would increase a number of
wrappers for log4cxx.

Please, let me know if these arguments are enough for log4cxx being removed.

Note, apr itself remains, and it is pretty good piece of code to my
perception. I do not intend to invent pools or OS call wrappers. We
throw away the staff guys from apr does not allow to put into their
main module. :-)
Thanks.

--
With best regards,