harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Fedotov" <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] GSoC 2008 Refactor Java Bytecode Translator
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 23:02:55 GMT
Hello, Kostya,

Do you think it would be good to reflect Egor's (and mine) idea of an
evolutionary path during learning period during the first step of your
plan? Namely, incremental approach to IR separation are subsequent
patches to the existing code base. Each of the patches does the
following:
1. Removes some optimization from the parsing stage.
2. Adds necessary infrastructure to HIR.
3. Adds or ensures that the optimization is done on HIR.

This would help attacking the problem and learning a parser, HIR and
tools incrementally. On completion of this step you would have your
code committed to Harmony and get more confidence. Moreover the code
which enhances HIR would be close to final. In process you will learn
why the existing IR builder is bad and grow a desire to attack it
fully rewriting the code.

What do you think?

--
With best regards,